Monday, September 12, 2005

It’s been over 24 hours and the adrenaline is still coursing through my veins. Yesterday was the Annual Battle of the Brit Car & Motorcycle show in Sterling Heights, MI. My local Triumph club, the Metro Triumph Riders organize the bike-end of the event. This is my favorite show for so many reasons. The facility, Freedom Hill, is a lovely multi-functional park, only 30 minutes from my home. The caliber of classic bikes is top-flight. From daily runners to world-class restorations & originals. And of course, an opportunity to hangout with friends.

This year’s show was particularly good because the weather cooperated, the turnout of bikes was excellent and I received a major dose of ego-boost. Any one who knows me, knows I’m all about external affirmation. I live for the 'pat on the back.' And I got more than my share yesterday.

The day started with noted classic bike & Triumph historian and author, Lindsey Brooks stopping by early as I was setting up. I brought with me my two latest project bikes; my Project eBobber and my Silverstone SC. The Silverstone is a T100 with a mix of Norman Hyde, MotoTwin and other parts to replica a 60s café/club racer. Lindsey has seen this bike before and was even more generous with praise this time around. He took some photos of the bike as I suggested once again that he should write a book about the NTB. I’ll leave it to him to pitch the idea to his publishers. Fingers crossed.

Next along was Peter from the Metro Triumph Riders. Pete’s a British chap and always complementary of my work. He introduces me to a producer from Speed Channel. They’re there to film the goings on for TV. “Would it be OK if we came by later and film a bit about you and your bikes?” [OK Mike… process the words… calm down and don’t freak-out… steady man…I’m just standing here not saying anything… answer the guy…] “Ahhh, sure” was my brilliant retort. Fingers crossed.

So now I freaking-out that I have to give a TV interview. Oh, I’ve done them before, but I was talking about someone else, or something not of my own creation. Now I have to talk about my bikes and my business. I was so keyed-up, I though my head was going to explode. I was on super overdrive all day. By the time the film crew came by hours later, I was totally wired. The interview went great, or so I am told. I can't recall a word I said. I’m not going to jinx the deal by getting into specifics of the show, but hopefully you’ll all be calling me the King of All Media early next year. Fingers crossed.

A special shout-out to what hopefully will be the future Michigan chapter of the Ton-Up Club, Tannis, Fred, Eric, Larry, and Brad showed up for our first official group photo and meeting. Fun was had by all… and it involved British motorbikes. Can’t beat that.