Friday, May 05, 2006

It was the best of times. I was the worst of times. Let me start by apologizing for ignoring this blog for the last few months. At first, the idea of a daily log of experiences and amusing antidotes was intriguing to me. The novelty soon wore off as my increasing workload made it more and more difficult to find the time to sit down at the keyboard and bang out some ramblings. Steps are being taken to reduce my personal workload and increase my personal time.

This last week has been particularly difficult as I received some very sad news about members of the New Triumph Bonneville community. Last weekend, Brad Morris and his wife Drena suffered had an accident with a car while riding near their home in San Diego. Both are in the hospital with critical injuries, albeit not life threatening. Drena was thrown from the bike and suffered a broken pelvis and some internal bleeding. Brad has compound fractures and broken ribs. Both are expected to make a full recovery, but it will be a long recuperation with lots of therapy ahead of them. The situation is particularly sad as they have a young daughter at home. I’ve never met Brad, but I have conversed with him many times on both the New Triumph Bonneville Forum and the Brit Iron Rebels Forum. I’ve always liked his sense of humor and easygoing spirit. His screen name is SpeedTrophy.

And just as you think things couldn’t get much worse, another member experienced a very bad crash just yesterday. Chris Crain, best known as RetiredSF and co-moderator of the New Triumph Bonneville Forum wrecked his bike while riding in Deal’s Gap, NC, where a NTBF gathering is going on this weekend. Chris suffered many broken bones and well as a broken neck. The good news is that there is apparently no paralysis, but like the Morris’, he has a long and difficult recovery ahead of him. I’ve known Chris for a few years now, having first meeting face-to-fact two years ago at the first NTBF meet in Deal’s Gap. Talk about a great guy… they really broke the mold with this one. Ex Green Beret, Viet Nam vet and most recently, cancer survivor. He’s unanimously loved and admired by all who has met him and/or know him from the NTB & BIR forums. I was planning to go the Deal’s Gap meet this week, but I canceled because I’m so behind at work. Learning about Chris’ mishap makes me thankful I didn’t go as I’m so saddened by the news, I know I just couldn’t enjoy myself.

So relatively speaking, things could have gone much worse for Brad, Drena and Chris, but by the grace of God or just plain good luck, they didn’t and all will recover… I’m sure to ride again. The Brit Iron Rebels club has set-up a recovery fund for Crain and the Morris families. Donations can be made via PayPal to: treasurer@britironrebels.com. Please include a note that the donation is for Brad & Drena Morris and/or Chris Crain. I plead with you to look deep into your hearts and reach deep into your pockets to help these fine people. We are a community, and as a community, what affects one, affects us all.

Thank you for your patience, generosity and consideration.